Instrument Maintenance Shop Division & IT Division
The Electronics Shop is made up of two separate divisions -- the Instrument Maintenance Shop Division and the IT Division.
Please see the information below regarding the proper contact information and protocols for requesting service between these two divisions.
Instrument Maintenance Shop Division
The Instrument Maintenance Shop is engaged in the design, construction, calibration, diagnosis, and repair of electronic and electro-mechanical laboratory equipment for the Chemistry Department. This includes maintenance and repair of departmental instrumentation such as GC, NMR, mass spectrometers, chromatographs, temperature baths, hot plates, vacuum ovens, ice machines, etc.
The contact person for repairs is; John Burleson, HHS1017, 231-2655 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Instrument Maintenance Shop does not charge for services, so an ISR is not required.
To Request Repairs:
- All equipment must be tagged with the owner's name, building, and room number!
- Please click on the following web link to request service. INSTRUMENT REPAIR REQUEST. NOTE: This link will ask for your VT Google Apps account information. If you are currently logged on with your private Google account information, you will need to switch to your VT Google account or log off and log on using your VT Google User Info.
- If applicable, attach a copy of the request to the instrument.
- If parts are needed for repairs, staff will advise on ordering.
- The Instrument Maintenance Division does not charge for labor, so an ISR is not required. However, if parts are needed, shop staff will advise on ordering.
The IT Division is engaged in the repair and modification of computers, installation of software, servicing telephone and Ethernet (hardwired & wireless) request.
Please see http://www.computing.vt.edu for the latest information regarding Virginia Tech's computing services, status updates, procedures, policies and more.
The staff for the IT Division are:
Larry Jackson: 231-8257, LJACKSON@VT.EDU
Steve Breeding: 231-8142, STEVEB23@VT.EDU
- The IT Division does not charge for labor, so an ISR is not required. However, if parts are needed, shop staff will advise on ordering.
- All equipment must be tagged with the owners's name, building, and room number.
Please then click on the following link: IT REQUEST. NOTE: This request link asks for your VT Google Apps account information. If you are currently logged on with your private Google account information, you will need to switch to your VT Google account or log off and log on using your VT Google user info.
Shop Manager and Computer Engineer
Instrument Maintenance Shop
8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Please see instructions at left.
No charge for labor; only for parts and shipping.
Shipping Address (both divisions):
171 Davidson Hall
1040 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061-0212