Organic Polymer Chemistry
Office: 2109 Hahn Hall South
Group Web Pages: http://www.mii.vt.edu/GroupWebPage/index.html
BS Tennessee Technological University, 1964
MS Tennessee Technological University, 1966
PhD University of Florida, 1971
Post Doc Polymer Chemistry, Technical University, Darmstadt, Germany, 1971-1972
Post Doc Polymer Chemistry, Univ. of Florida, Sept. 1972- Dec. 1972
Scientist, Xerox Corporation, 1972-1980
Staff Scientist, Exxon Research and Engineering, 1980-1982
Research Associate, Eastman Kodak, 1982-1993
Research Fellow, Eastman Chemical, 1993-2004
Director, Macromolecules and Interfaces Institute, Virginia Tech, 2004-present
Honors and Awards:
Listed in Who's Who in Technology Today--Chemical Technology
Listed in Who's Who in Frontiers of Science and Technology, 2nd Edition
Received Distinguished Inventors' Award from Eastman Kodak Company, 1993
Named Fellow Division of Polymeric Materials: Science and Engineering of the American Chemical Society, 2002
Chosen as Stein-Bayer Lecturer in Department of Chemistry University of Massachusetts Amherst, November 2003
Named one of Top Ten Scientists in Tennessee by Business Tennessee magazine, March 2004
University of Florida, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Department of Chemistry 2004 Alumni Award
Tennessee Technological University, 2004 Alumnus of the Year Award
Northeast Tennessee ACS Section Speaker of the Year award for 2005 for outstanding achievements in polyester research, May 2005
PMSE Distinguished Service Award 2006, March 2006
Industrial Polymer Scientist Award for Outstanding Industrial Innovation-ACS Division of Polymer Chemistry, August 2008
Named Fellow of the American Chemical Society in the Inaugural Class of ACS Fellows, August 2009
Named Fellow of the Division of Polymer Chemistry, American Chemical Society (Inaugural Class), March 2010
Synthesis and characterization of step-growth hyper-branched ion-containing polymers, and novel-responsive polymers.
- Designing carboxylated alternating copolymers for anti-HIV microbicides, J. Med. Chem. 57 (15) 6354-6363 (2014) with Savage, A.; Li, Y.; Mataolyak, L.; Doncel, G.; Gandour, R.
- Synthesis and characterization of polysulfone-containing poly(butylene terephthalate) segmented block copolymers, Macromolecules 47(23), 8171-8177 (2014) with Dennis, J. M.; Fahs, G.B .; Moore, R. B.; Long, T. E.
- Nanoporous hypercrosslinked polymers containing Tg enhancing comonomers, Polymer 59, 42-45 (2014). with Zhou, X.; Huang, J.; Abbot, L.J.; Barr, K.; Lin, Z.; Svec, F.; Colina, C.
- Synthesis and characterization of double hydrophilic block copolymers containing semi-rigid and flexible segments, J. Polymer Sci. Part A: Polymer Chemistry, 53 (2), 219-227 (2015), with Savage, A.M.; Ullrich, E.; Chin, S.M; Kiernan, Z.; Kost, C.
- Nanoporous polymers from crosslinked polymer precursors via tert-butyl group deprotection and their carbon dioxide capture properties, Chem. of Materials, 27 (21), 7388-7394 (2015), with Huang, J.; Zhou, X; Abbott, L.; Lamprou, A.: Maya, F.; and Svec, F.